Friday, 2024-03-29, 6:19 PM
Main Sign Up RSS
Welcome, Guest
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » MUonline » MUonline Guides » MU Offline - Running OFFLINE server & client with NO interne
MU Offline - Running OFFLINE server & client with NO interne
SeaAngelDate: Sunday, 2012-08-05, 4:17 AM | Message # 1
3D Modeling
Group: Administrators
Awards: 1
[Guide] MU Offline - Running OFFLINE server & client with NO internet connection (MU single-player Offline mode)

I have tested this on MU Versions 1.02q, 1.01e, and 97d on a computer running WinXP SP2. Everything works and functions properly with full mob spawns, items, spells/skills, etc. I have no machines running WinVista, so I have no way to test this on Vista. If you have a Vista machine, you can test this out yourself and post if it works on Vista.

I was asked to post a very basic "down & dirty" supplemental guide for people desiring to set up an MU server and client on ONE machine with NO internet connection for "offline" play. This setup has been verified to work, as I play numerous MMORPG's in an "offline" mode on my own private servers, basically single-player MU in an offline mode. This can basically be done for ANY MMORPG that you have the server files for.

This guide assumes that you are able to get all necessary server and client files onto the machine you wish to run the server on, either by using a temporary internet connection or a data transfer method.

This supplemental guide will not contain any screenshots, but VERY simple instructions so that anyone can get their own MU offline server and client running on the same machine. Other people on the forum may be able to run a similar setup using a different method, but this is the way that I experimented with that worked for me. This is a very simple and basic guide and is offered AS-IS because I currently don't have time to make a more extensive guide with more bells and whistles. If you follow the instructions it WILL work, guaranteed. I currently don't have the time to make a comprehensive guide with screenshots.

This configuration is basically for people desiring to play MU at their leisure without necessarily having an internet connection to connect to a server with. I play MMORPG's in an "offline" mode on my own servers because I travel quite a bit and don't always have access to high-speed internet, so this setup is ideal for people in a similar situation. I am running this on a high-end laptop when I travel.

If you want to set up an MU server on a LAN (router), then there are other guides to help you accomplish that as well. Use the search function. This guide is only for setting up an MU server and client on the same computer with NO internet connection and play MU in an offline mode.

Use the posted installation guide for the server and client version you are using. Each installation guide will give you the links to download the server files, clients, patches (if needed) and various MU editors you will need to create/edit accounts and characters. This is ONLY a supplemental guide to add to the installation guides to set everything else up.

You CAN use "127.0.0.1" as your IP, but I prefer to not do it that way. I used a Microsoft loopback adapter to simulate an internet connection. If you don't have Microsoft Loopback Adapter installed, go to your "Install Hardware" menu in your Control Panel and install it.

I kept my firewall enabled while running the server and client, and it does not effect port, server or client access in ANY way as long as everything is given the proper accesses. Since you will be playing OFFLINE with NO internet connection, there is really no need to have the firewall on....but it will make no difference if you allow all the programs the proper accesses. If you use ZoneAlarm the programs will request accesses to the Trusted Zone, etc as they need them. Make sure you click the "Remember Decision" box on the firewall access request.

1. Once you have MS Loopback Adapter installed, MAKE SURE your "1394 Connection" internet adapter is DISABLED under your Network Connections.

2. DISABLE your actual internet connection adapter under Network Connections.

3. At this point, under Network Connections, ALL your internet connection adapters should be DISABLED.

4. ENABLE the Microsoft Loopback Adapter you just installed. Right Click, choose properties. The choose "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click properties. Manually input an IP address (I used the actual IP address I would have if I was connected to my internet service provider (ISP). Once done click OK and exit. Your MS Loopback adapter should now reflect that it is connected, and if you right-click on Status, then Support, it should show the IP address you just manually inputted.

At this point, the MS Loopback Adapter should be the ONLY internet adapter that is currently enabled.

ALL others should still be disabled (although you CAN still have your other adapters enabled, it may cause errors later on, so just disable them.) I turned a wireless adapter on to connect to a printer, and everything still worked fine....but for simplicity sake, if you get errors and are unsure, just disable all other adapters except the Loopback Adapter while playing MU.

5. Now follow the installation guide EXACTLY that came with the server and client files you downloaded.

The ONLY changes where you will deviate from the posted installation guide are the following:

a. Use your Microsoft Loopback Adapter IP in ALL your configuration files where it is required for you to input your IP address. For the purpose of this guide, none of the entries should be set to "127.0.0.1"

b. IMPORTANT: When you create your custom launcher, use your MS Loopback Adapter IP, NOT "127.0.0.1". Also, use port 44405 for the launcher, and NOT port 55901 or you may not be able to connect to the server.

Once everything is installed according to the guide, and you have created your game account(s) run/enable everything in this order:

1. MS Loopback Adapter (with NO other adapters enabled)

2.MSSQL Service Manager to have your MSSQL server/databases active and running.

3. Run MSSQL Enterprise Manager and make sure the databases you created during installation are accessible, or else you did something wrong during installation.

4. Run the MU Server Startup utility that will get all the game servers running. WAIT for it to complete and reflect that ALL servers are "Ready". IMPORTANT: if you get errors for any server during the startup, you did something wrong and need to go back and check your server config files....a lot of times you mistyped the IP address.

5. Run the custom launcher you made to start the game client.

IMPORTANT: If you do anything out of order, OR you STILL have your "1394 Connection" adapter or your "Internet Connection" adapter STILL enabled, those connections CAN block you from connecting to your MU server via the Loopback Adapter. The Loopback Adapter should be the ONLY adapter running with playing MU. It is POSSIBLE to still run other adapters (wireless, internet, 1394)....BUT depending on your computer configurations they CAN cause errors, so it is recommended to simply disable them while playing MU offline in a single-player mode.

If you followed everything EXACTLY, this WILL work 100% with NO errors and enable you to play MU in an offline mode with the server and client on the same machine. These steps worked 100% for me with no errors, and I am currently playing MU on a version 1.02q server and client on a computer running WinXP SP2 with NO internet connection.

If everything does not work 100% with no errors and allow you to log into your server and play, then you will need to retrace your steps and verify the procedures, although 95% of the time you made an error in the server config files, so verify these first.

I hope this guide was helpful to those desiring to play MU in a single-player offline mode. I apologize for not making a guide with all the bells & whistles and screenshots, but I didn't have the time. Enjoy.

Forum » MUonline » MUonline Guides » MU Offline - Running OFFLINE server & client with NO interne
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: