• Page 1 of 1
Forum » Warcraft III » Warcraft III Tutorials » Advanced Terraining Tutorial
Advanced Terraining Tutorial
SeaAngelDate: Tuesday, 2011-12-06, 10:02 AM | Message # 1
3D Modeling
Group: Administrators
Awards: 1
~Advanced Terraining Tutorial~
Hello there, terrainers! This tutorial reveals all points of the good terrain, which includes playable terrain and templates. For good terrain I will recommend you using The Ultimate Terraining Map (UTM).

1. Playable Terrain
The playable terrain is terrain on which can be played. It can be used for almost all types of maps: RPGs, Campaigns, Arenas, Mazes, even for Melle maps and other types. I will show you the difference between the GOOD terrain and the BAD terrain. I will show you what to use and what not to use. Now, enough talking, lets begin.

A.Custom Cliffs.
I will recommend you that you never use the blizzard cliffs. They look ugly and bad. Now I will create a custom cliff, using the raise/lower tool and some tilesets. Don’t forget about the pathing!
Note: you must have a file named “MiscData” in folder named “UI” in your WC3 folder. If you don’t have “UI” folder, simply create it and download the “MiscData” file attached at the bottom of this tutorial. This will allow you to create infinite steep cliffs.
Picture

Step1: Use the raise/lower tool to raise the region in which you need the cliff.
Step2: Use some rocky tilesets on the cliff, so it looks more realistic.
Step3: You may use some doodads to enchant your cliff. I’d recommend you to use rocks, shrubs and few trees if there is place. Don’t forget to remove the pathing from the OE.
Step4: (optional) use the smooth tool to smoothen the terrain where you want it to be walkable.

B. Rolling Shores
Placing water with blizzard cliffs looks ugly (as I said in A.) I will recommend you to place water, using the raise/lower tool. This is called “rolling shores”.
Picture

Note: You must have started the map with Water and used the “Raise” tool to make it land. If you haven’t used this method, it is hard to use rolling shores (you can also use doodad water, which can be found in the UTM).
Step1: Use the raise/lower tool to lower the terrain until you reach the water.
Step2: Use the Smoothen tool to make the shores smooth.
Step3: Change the tileset. Dirt and grassy dirt near the water, grass and think grass everywhere else (and rocks if there are custom cliffs)
Step4: Put some doodads like River rushes, some rocks, shrubs, lily pads, etc.

C. Smooth Terrain Tiles
Smooth terrain tiles are very important when doing natural terrain. It is looking bad if you put thick grass and next to it dirt. This is called sharp terrain and I dislike it. To do a smooth terrain, you will need to use the tiles in order. Something like:
Cracked Dirt -> Dirt -> Grassy Dirt -> Grass -> Thick Grass
Note: the grassy dirt need to go over the grass and the thick grass (not the reverse), so it don’t looks sharp. To do this go to Advanced > Modify Tileset. Then check the box “Use custom Tileset” and then move the grassy dirt right of the grass and thick grass.
Picture
Picture

D. Doodad Manipulating
Doodads can be manipulated by 4 different ways: Raise/lower, Rotate, Size and Recolor.
a. Raise/lower
Raising/lowering the doodads is achieved very easily: just by pressing Ctrl+PageUp or Ctrl+PageDown. This will help you setting the doodads as you wish them, fitting the theme, hiding part of them under the ground or making them flying or put them on another doodad.
b. Rotate
Rotating a doodad is not that easy. It can be achieved only with the OE (Object Editor) by two ways: “depending on the terrain” and “free rotate”. “Depending on the terrain” is rotating that will follow the terrain lines. Increasing the “Maximum Pitch Angle (degrees)” allows the doodads to follow the terrain lines. It will look like that:
Picture

The “Free rotate” is harder. First of all go to File>Preferences and check the box saying: “Allow negative real values in Object Editor.” Then go to the OE and Shift-Click “Max Roll Angle (degrees)” to rotate the doodad you wish to.
“-3.14” rotates the doodad by 180 degrees. By the way, “-1.57” rotates it by 90 degrees and “-0.79” rotates it by 45 degrees.
Note: After rotating the doodads, they will be buried in the ground. Simply raise them to see their full form. Also, the rotate depending on terrain will take effect too.
Picture

c. Size
Sizing a doodad is easy. Almost all blizzard doodads have a minimum size of 0.80 and maximum of 1.20. By changing these numbers on a placed doodad you can deform it. Like setting X and Y to 0.80 (0.8 x the normal size) and setting the Z (height) to 1.20, like that the doodad will look thinner and higher than normal. Also, you can change the normal size of the doodad with the OE by changing the “Art- default Scale”. The Default is 1.00, but you can make it larger or smaller. You can also change the limits of deforming a doodad (0.80 and 1.20) by changing the “Editor – Maximum scale” and “Editor – Minimum scale”. This will allow you to deform the doodad by your needs. You can also use the "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys to change the height and the "Home" and "End" for the X and Y.
Note: The X and Y (2Ds) depend on the rotation of the doodad, while the Z (height 3D) does NOT depend on anything.
Picture

d. Recolor (Tint)
Recoloring doodads (Also called Tinting doodads) is also simple. You just need to change the “Art- tinting color”. If the doodad have much variations you can recolor them different. Like Variation 1– Red, Variation 2- Blue, etc.
To recolor a doodad, you need to change the color variables (the Max is 255). For Example, if you leave Red to 255, and set the others to 0, the doodad will look all red. The following picture will show you the basic tint colors:
Picture

E: Creating Indoors
Creating Indoors isn’t that easy. Indoor is inside a building, which can be castle, tower, orc fortress, cave or even a poor house. Most of the people make the building with Blizzard cliffs, which is more easier, however I dislike and I don’t think a high quality terrain would have such indoor. The harder way to create an indoor is with doodads. The UTM (Ultimate Terraining Map) offers many types of walls (with windows, doors, columns) which can be used to create an indoor. Also, indoors need another tile. I would prefer using a doodad as tile too, but you must be very accurate to connect the tiles, as well as the walls. Every wall must be connected with a column, so the walls wont have cut edges, but make sure the column and the wall fit perfectly. Also the walls must NOT be too high, so they wont stay in the way of the camera. The following images will show you how to do nice indoor. The UTM contains all needed doodads.
Picture

F. Pathing ground
Pathing ground is the most important thing for the playable terrain. Pathing is there, where the Units can walk and where they can. There are more types pathing: Fly, Boundnary, ground, unbuildable. When you click “P” in the editor, it shows you the pathing in different colors.
Picture

The pathing can be achieved by three ways: Doodad pathing, Cliff Pathing and Pathing Blockers. The doodad pathing is when you place a doodad, you will see purple or blue pathing under it. You can always change that pathing from the OE. I would prefer to turn it off and do the pathing myself with blockers. In the UTM, the pathing of all doodads is off. The Cliff pathing is when you place blizzard cliffs. The Blizzard cliffs have their own pathing, but since I am using custom cliffs, I am doing it with pathing blockers. The pathing blockers are small doodads with click helper that don’t allow the units to pass trough. There are different types of blockers: ground, fly, both, etc. They block different units from passing. There is a unique type blocker – The line of sight blocker. The line of sight blocker blocks ground units too, but it don’t allow units to see trough it. It is placed mainly on cliffs and indoor walls.
Note: You must put the blockers INSIDE the doodads/terrain you want to be unwalkable, not outside it, the image shows the diffirence:
Picture

2. Template Terrain
The Template Terrain is used to take a Screenshot of the terrain to show your skills or for making a Cinematic. The Template terrain don’t needs any pathing. It must look good only from one view point, and bad from all other view points. This allows the use of fogs, effects, glows, and such other things that enchants your terrain with awesomeness.

A. Fog
The Fog is unique thing that allows you to cover the more distant areas in color. The Fog can be generated by Scenario>Map Options>Use Terrain Fog
After checking the box “Use Terrain Fog” some options will appear:
Start and End Distance: The start distance is on what distance of the screen the fog will start being more dense until it reaches the End distance, where it will be pure color (except the sky). I will recommend that you set the start distance to 0, so it wont be sharp. Density: leave it as it is, I don’t see any diffirence. Color: the color of the fog. The colors are like tinting doodads. Example:
Picture

Note: The Fog can also be used in playable terrains!

B. Sky
The sky is a “picture” that is put on the background in the palce of the black abyss when you click “V” or Ingame. There are much skies which can be found in Scenario>Map Preferences>Sky Display. You may also put custom sky by importing it. The sky is visible in the upper Picture.
Note: The Sky does NOT gets affected by the fog, if you haven’t put “Fogged sky”

C. Effects
The Effects a Unique Objects like Glows, Light Rays, Shadow Affecters, Stars, fires and others. They are often kept in the “Cinematic selection” is the doodad palette (as in the UTM). They can enchant your terrain greatly, but most of them can’t be used in the playable terrain. The bad thing is that they cannot be tinted or just the most of them cannot. It isn’t so easy to use effects because the most of them (except the fires) must be rotated, raised/lowered and so on. Here is example of Sun, made with effects:
Picture

I also used sky and fog to achieve this.
Note: The effects don’t gets affected by the Fog.

D. The Mighty Alpha Tile™
The Mighty Alpha Tile™ is a simple invisible tile. It is transparent and shows the sky under it and can be used for few things: Flying Castles and buildings or Water Reflection. It can also be used in Playable terrains, but it’s more often used in Templates. Creating flying objects in the sky is simple. Just paint everything in the MAT (Mighty Alpha Tile™) and place some wall doodads and such things. Here is a example of it:
Picture

Note: You must put something under the castle, so it won’t look flat. Here I put some rocks, rotated upside-down (look at rotating, Doodad Manipulating, b2)

The MAT™ can also be used to achieve river reflection. You just need to put it in shore water with Rolling Shores (1B) and copy and paste the doodads, upside-down. Also, the use of sky here is very important, so it will look like reflection, not black hole in the water.

Forum » Warcraft III » Warcraft III Tutorials » Advanced Terraining Tutorial
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: